Diet is always stressful for the body. The body gets used to changing the diet for 7-10 days. Many people feel irritated and physically ill during strict diets. It is difficult for a person with a very sensitive body to pull such changes, it often breaks down and gains even more weight. Especially for people who do not want to endure the constant feeling of hunger, a "keto diet" has been developed.
The essence of the keto diet
The diet is also called ketogenic, its principle is to exclude as many carbohydrates from the diet. The essence of such a diet is based on replacing carbohydrates with fats and increasing protein intake.
Ketogenic diets are gaining popularity in health and wellness environments
Description of the keto diet as a percentage of the daily diet:
- 55-65% fatty foods;
- 25-35% protein dishes;
- 5-10% glucose from carbohydrates.
The keto diet for weight loss often allows you not only to maintain physical shape, but also to remove body fat and build muscle. The ketogenic diet causes "ketosis" in the body, a mechanism that is triggered by a lack of carbohydrates. At this time, the body begins to use only fat as a source of energy. In the process of ketosis, ketone bodies are formed in the body. Their increased amount is dangerous to human health, so it is very important to drink enough fluids.
Basic principles of the keto diet:
- The drinking regime includes at least two liters of water a day.
- The maximum amount of carbohydrates is 40 grams per day.
- Be sure to eat fiber, preferably green vegetables.
- To make the transition to a new diet more relaxed, consume equal amounts of protein and fat in the first week.
- Eat the usual amount of carbohydrates twice a week so as not to cause a deficiency.
The ketogenic diet for weight loss should be applied without fanaticism. When calculating the protein and fat of the keto diet it is necessary to rely on the state of the body, its indicators and energy reserves.
For the period of such a diet it is necessary to reduce the calorie content of the diet by 15%. If a woman consumes 2500 kcal per day during a fat diet, the food is reduced to 2100 kcal.
The following are assigned to them:
- 1200 kcal for fat;
- 600 kcal for protein;
- 300 kcal for carbohydrates.
Ketosis is a natural metabolic process in which your body uses fats for biological energy needs during nutrient deficiencies.
On ordinary days, a person needs up to 110 grams of carbohydrates per day, but to lose weight, they are reduced to 20-50 grams.
Allowed foods on a ketogenic diet
List of permitted foods on the keto diet:
- dietary meat;
- fish (carp, perch, bream, hake, pike);
- eggs (chicken, quail);
- cottage cheese (fat content 5-9%);
- mushrooms (shiitake, mushrooms);
- drinks (almond milk, green and white tea, herbal infusions);
- greens (dill, parsley, sorrel, beet leaves, celery, arugula, spinach);
- fermented dairy products (kefir, fermented baked milk, yogurt, Greek yogurt);
- nuts (walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, cedar nuts);
- vegetables (onions, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin, asparagus, radishes, peppers);
- fruits (avocado, grapefruit, watermelon, peach, apricot);
- cheese (brie, goat cheese, ricotta, feta, tofu);
- berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries).
Before starting a diet, people worry about the question: "What can you eat on a ketogenic diet? " And for good reason, because a lot of fat is harmful and not useful.
List of foods with the most useful fats:
- Avocado. One of the acceptable fruits of a fatty diet is an effective source of oleic acid and a powerful antioxidant.
- Nuts. In addition to fat, they contain potassium and vitamin E. They are useful in the weight loss process and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Olive oil. A well-known antioxidant that slows down the aging process.
- Coconut oil. Improves memory, is also used in cosmetology, as it can improve the condition of the epithelium and hair.
The ketogenic diet is becoming a major destination for health and fitness enthusiasts, thanks to many clinical studies supporting its therapeutic benefits.
Completely or partially banned products
The diet should focus on mono- and polyunsaturated fats and exclude trans fats from the diet to a minimum, so that the keto diet excludes from its list of foods:
- fast food;
- fried pies;
- baked goods of margarine;
- sweet bars, chocolates;
Trans fats refer to a special type of unsaturated fat that is produced artificially. They raise blood sugar levels and cause the development of degenerative diseases of the heart, kidneys and brain.
Leaving trans fats in their diet increases the likelihood of:
- the development of diabetes mellitus;
- reduced immunity;
- metabolic disorders;
- increased risk of depression.
List of forbidden foods on the keto diet high in carbohydrates:
- dates, figs, raisins, prunes, dried apricots;
- banana, grape, persimmon, pomegranate, apple, blackcurrant, mango;
- almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds;
- white cabbage, pumpkin, beets, potatoes;
- beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils;
- pasta, wheat flour, rice, starch, cereals;
- bakery products;
- alcoholic beverages.
The keto diet is more like replacing some sources of calories for others that you consume, than like a complete overhaul of your diet.
The ketogenic diet for women
For women, the standard form of the keto diet is the best. It excludes days with increased carbohydrate intake. Such a daily menu for the keto diet is suitable for women with little or no physical activity. Diet is considered to be an effective method to start burning fat.
The weekly menu for the keto diet for women allows you to include the following dishes:
- Bunny stew in coconut oil with two slices of zucchini.
- Chicken meatballs with Greek yogurt and spinach.
- Roasted carp with cherry tomatoes and herbal tea.
- Baked mushrooms with celery and a slice of feta cheese.
The ketogenic diet for one week of weight loss eliminates more than 30 grams of carbohydrates per day. Remember to drink up to 8 glasses of still water a day.
The ketogenic diet for men
The standard keto diet is suitable for those men who do not have any physical activity at work (for programmers, office workers, drivers). If a man does sports, leads enough mental or physical activity, he should adhere to a purposeful diet.
The weekly targeted keto diet for men includes one or two days of high carbohydrate intake. Eating carbs should be done before and after a workout. On average, the menu with the keto diet is followed for a month or two. If a person wants to gain muscle mass, the amount of protein and fat is equal.
The menu of the ketogenic diet for weight loss for men includes the following dishes:
- Steamed omelet with parsley and mushrooms.
- Roast turkey with tofu, tomatoes and pumpkin.
- Almond milk with goat cheese and avocado.
- Greek yogurt with cedar nuts and shrimp.
Switching to such a diet means eating a lot of meat, dairy products and vegetables.
Recipes for effective meals with keto diet:
- Sea salad. A jar of canned octopus is rinsed with oil. Cut the avocado into small slices, put the chopped octopus on it. Sprinkle with lemon juice, squeeze a few cloves of garlic and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Roasted carp. Sprinkle the well-peeled fish with lemon juice and leave for half an hour. Fry the mushrooms in vegetable oil with leeks. Pour the mushroom mixture into the belly of the carp and garnish with tomatoes on top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Roast turkey with cheese. Cut the turkey fillet into cubes. Add chopped pieces of meat, feta to the fried onion and cover with a lid. Sprinkle with herbs and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Recipes for a ketogenic diet for weight loss are very nutritious and effective at the same time. They will not make you hungry and will provide a person with useful elements.
Drinks to help replenish the amount of fluid needed in a fat diet:
- fennel tea;
- ice cubes made from chamomile and mint infusions;
- water with blackberries and blueberries;
- coffee with almond milk;
- unsweetened green tea;
- milk shakes with linseed milk and cashew nuts.
People who switch to a ketogenic diet support the idea of eating protein and satiating foods.
How to get out of the keto diet
Many proponents of the diet, before starting it, are worried about the question: "How to get out of the keto diet? " It is very important to do it right so as not to harm your body and not to regain extra pounds. The most important thing is to gradually get out of the diet. A sharp increase in the amount of carbohydrates can cause swelling of carbohydrates and return of fat.
Tips for giving up the keto diet:
- Get out of the diet for 2-3 weeks. This will help you maintain your weight and lose a little more fat.
- Include apples and buckwheat in the first week of the meal.
- In the second week, add fruit and dried fruit.
- Remember to follow your drinking regimen.
- Do not add fast carbs to your diet while leaving fatty foods.
Advantages and disadvantages of the keto diet
The main advantage of the keto diet is that it allows you to lose weight without grueling diets and hunger strikes. The person does not feel hungry and the likelihood of breakdowns is reduced.
Disadvantages of the keto diet:
- carbohydrates in forbidden fruits and vegetables contain important trace elements;
- does not allow strength training;
- there are contraindications;
- the diet is unbalanced and is only suitable for a while.
It is very important to understand how protein works in the keto diet and how to get optimal results.
The keto diet can cause the following side effects:
- increased fatigue;
- reduced memory;
The harms of the keto diet can occur when you eat unhealthy fats during the diet.
- high cholesterol;
- the likelihood of developing cardiovascular disease;
- vitamin deficiency is possible;
- low mood.
Constipation is often a consequence of the keto diet. It is important to normalize the diet after leaving the diet, as chronic constipation causes hemorrhoids and intoxication of the body.
Characteristics of the keto diet in various diseases
Initially, the diet was prescribed for the treatment of children with epilepsy, and only then began to be used in the fight against excess weight for a slim and toned body. Its use is effective in combating certain diseases.
The ketogenic diet for epilepsy
Doctors often prescribe a ketogenic diet for epilepsy along with medication and physiotherapy. Such medical nutrition is contraindicated in infants and is used only under the full supervision of the attending physician. Patients are forbidden to drink carbonated water and to be physically active during the diet. Keto nutrition in epilepsy in 80% of cases helps to get rid of the disease and in 50% completely eliminates seizures and allows you to lead a full life.
The ketogenic diet for cancer
The keto diet has been successful in treating cancer. It stimulates the immune system and relieves inflammation. Ketone bodies can reduce the growth of malignant cells. The ketogenic diet is effective in brain cancer, but will only harm the patient with stomach and gallbladder cancer. Adherence to the diet should be agreed with a qualified professional.
The ketogenic diet for diabetes
The keto diet for diabetes can lower blood sugar levels and get rid of obesity. It is necessary to discuss the diet with a doctor, as there are still no final results from the tests that are completely legal. It is important to ask your doctor about the need to take vitamin complexes and the introduction of insulin during the diet.
The main contraindications to the keto diet are:
- diseases of the liver, kidneys and stomach;
- thyroid problems;
- metabolic disorders;
- diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
The ketogenic diet is contraindicated in pregnant women as well as during breastfeeding. The combination of alcohol and the keto diet is controversial. Most people believe that it accelerates and deepens the process of ketosis, but suppresses weight loss. Most alcoholic beverages are high in calories.
Reviews and results
There are a huge number of before and after pictures on the Internet of people of different ages who have lost weight on the keto diet. The results of those who have lost weight on a ketogenic diet are usually positive, but much depends on the duration of the diet and getting out of it.
Reviews of those who have lost weight on the keto diet
- A 29-year-old man: "With the help of ketogenic nutrition we managed to get rid of the extra 5 kg. This diet helped me gain muscle mass and in combination with training to get a relief abdomen. Satisfied".
- Woman, 32 years old: "The fat diet allowed me to lose 3 kg in two weeks. At first I felt tired and dizzy, but after the first week the symptoms disappeared. Now I am full of energy and strength and I want to continue with such a diet. "
What do doctors say about the keto diet
- The first review: "I always advise you to contact the experts to choose the right menu. I often advise my patients to eat fat, of course, if there are no contraindications and problems with constipation. "
- Second examination: "From my own experience I observe how many patients have lost weight with the help of a ketogenic diet. I always insist that you listen to your health. If you feel discomfort, dizziness and weakness, it is better to switch to another diet. "